Arts & Culture Grants
Arts & Culture Grants are awarded twice annually to organizations that directly promote tourism and the hotel and convention industry in Marfa. In accordance with state law, this grant is restricted to the encouragement, promotion, improvement, and application of the arts that makes direct impact on the tourism and the hotel/convention industry.
An art facility or event can demonstrate impact by showing that hotel nights are booked due to their activity or that hotel guests attended their arts event. Eligible forms of art include all types of instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, film, video, radio, television, sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, performance, execution, and exhibition of these art forms.
2019 -2020 Deadlines
August 15, 2019, 5:00 pm (Q1 & Q2)
• For projects and events scheduled October 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020
• Approval and notification by August 29, 2019
February 13, 2020, 5:00 pm (Q3 & Q4)
• For projects and events scheduled April 1 – September 30, 2020
• Approval and notification by February 27, 2020
Please submit your application electronically by the above deadline. Late applications will be considered based on availability of funds. Please submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arts & Culture grants are generally awarded in the range of $2500 – $8000. Organizations who are awarded grant funds must complete a Post-Event Report Form within thirty days following the event in order to be eligible for future funding. The City of Marfa must be properly credited, with the City’s Tourism logo included, on all advertising and promotion of the event or project.
By law of the State of Texas, the City of Marfa collects a Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from hotels, short-term vacation rentals, and other lodging facilities. Under state law, the revenue from the HOT:
1. may be used only to directly promote tourism and the hotel and convention industry.
2. is limited to specific events and activities which, for the purposes of this application, include the encouragement, promotion, improvement, and application of the arts that can be shown to have some direct impact on tourism and the hotel/convention industry.
The City of Marfa accepts Arts & Culture Grant applications from groups and businesses whose program fits into the above requirements. Requests for funds must be submitted in writing and accompanied by the official application by the listed deadline. The application will be reviewed by the City of Marfa HOT Fund Committee. This committee is appointed by council and is comprised of individuals from local tourism, arts, and preservation fields and by Marfa citizens. The applicant may be asked to be present at a meeting of the Committee to answer any questions regarding the application. Applicants will be notified one week prior to the meeting of the time and place for the review.
Based on the application, the City of Marfa HOT Fund Committee will make a recommendation to the City Council. The City Council will make the final decision on all requests.
Eligibility and Priority
1. Priority will be given to events and entities based on their ability to generate overnight visitors to Marfa. If an event will not generate any meaningful hotel night activity, it is not eligible for receipt of hotel occupancy tax funds. Events can prove this potential to generate overnight visitors by:
a. historic information on the number of room nights used during previous years of the same event;
b. current information on the size of a room block that has been reserved at area hotels to accommodate anticipated overnight guests attending the funded event;
c. historical information on the number of guests at hotel or other lodging facilities that attended the funded event (through surveys, guest directories, or other sources; and/or
d. examples of the planned marketing of the programs and activities that will likely generate overnight visitors to local lodging properties from this event.
2. Priority will be given to organizations that rent the Tourism/USO Building or Marfa Activity Center for their event.
3. Events and activities will be further evaluated and scored based on:
a. Artistic merit
b. Cultural significance
c. Organizational capacity for success
d. Uniqueness and diversity
e. Collaboration with other local organizations
f. Appropriate budget
Applications must be submitted electronically. Email your application to email@example.com.